On 4-5 September, 60 world leaders, including Barack Obama, convened in Wales for the NATO Summit to plan their war on the world, the features of which being increased military spending and Operation Spearhead, a rapid attack force to be directed, in the first instance, at Russia.
Thousands of everyday concerned citizens from across Wales, the UK and the world met them to say No to Nato, an event organised by Stop the War Coalition and CND with the endorsement of over 100 organisations.
The protests included international actions including a national demonstration, counter summit, and week-long peace camp. The NO TO NATO – NO NEW WARS protests took placed from 30 August to 5 September.
Previous summits in Chicago and Strasbourg saw thousands protest war, austerity and global inequality.
* NATO expansion has created a dangerous crisis in Ukraine which threatens a regional war.
* NATO’s nuclear armed alliance binds Europe to US foreign policy, indeed, it is an American occupationary force in Europe.
* War is the enemy of the poor. The world’s 85 richest people have as much as poorest 3.5 billion.
* Money into war is money out of our communities.
* NATO creates false or unnecessary enemies to continually justify its existence. NATO is seditious in relation to the International Community and is subversive of International Law.
* NATO must be dismantled, de-constructed, in order for Europe to be a sovereign political state and for the emergence of a multi-lateral system of global democratic governance, dedicated to peaceful, cooperative, and sustainable development.
In the UK, 500,000 people had to resort to food banks last year.
None of the cuts would be necessary if the sums the UK spends on its military and armaments were invested in social need instead of the war machine.
We must make sure that the voice of the millions around the world who need peace and justice is also heard.